Don’t know about you, but in our home, we never run out of parmigiano reggiano – as in NEVER. 🙂 It’s one of those things that once I start using the last half, I made sure I buy another chunk right away.
That is why, ‘Parmesan & Chili Crisps’ is always the answer when I am craving for some crisps.
I used to just make Parmesan crisps, but once I found a brand of pepperoncino (chili flakes) that I like, I add it to almost anything that I make. Parmesan crisps is one of them – hence, Parmesan & Chili Crisps was born. 🙂
I prepare it as an appetizer when we have friends over, or when I just want to have a quiet evening with a glass of wine.
When I first started making these, I would use a medium-sized cookie cutter to keep the shape, but nowadays, I find that I can pretty much eyeball the size of the crisps.
You can use the same trick if you are finding it hard to form the shape of the crisps.
A couple of times I have tried adding pecorino with parmigiano – and I also like the result.
If you like pecorino, you would surely love it. Either way, you should NOT skip the chili flakes. It adds that extra punch of flavor in each crisp.
I also find that it is easier to just sprinkle the chili on top, instead of mixing them with the parmigiano – you have more control in how spicy you want your crisps to be.
If you want more appetizer ideas, check out my appetizers collection!
- 2 cups parmigiano reggiano, grated
- 3 tsp chili flakes (pepperoncino)
- Preheat oven to 180 degree-C (375 degree-F).
- Place a baking paper or silicone baking mat on a baking pan.
- Start preparing the crisps by taking two heaping tablespoons of cheese and placing them in the pan (forming a small circle for each crisp). This recipe makes 5 crisps for every cup of grated cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese has slightly turned brown.
- Take the pan out of the oven and let the crisps cool down.