Spanish Chorizo and Chickpea Stew
Looking for a light dish for weeknight dinner? Spanish Chorizo and Chickpea Stew ticks all the boxes! Delicious, easy to prepare and most importantly, ready in 30 minutes! (VIDEO ABOVE)
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup chorizo, cut into small cubes (about 3 pieces)
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- 1 pc dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup broth
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika, sweet
- salt and pepper, to season
Heat up olive oil in a medium-sized pan.
Once oil is ready, add garlic and onion. Cook until onion has softened.
Add chorizo. Mix and cook until the chorizo has started combining its fat with onion and garlic.
Add bell peppers. Add tomato sauce. Mix to combine. Cover and bring to a boil.
Uncover and add chickpeas. Mix.
Add smoked paprika, salt, pepper and sherry vinegar. Mix to combine. Pour broth. Add bay leaf. Mix.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Use any type of broth that you prefer -- chicken, beef or vegetable. They will all work with this stew recipe.
- Taste before adding salt, especially if your broth has already been seasoned.
- You can add more broth if you want but adjust the seasoning accordingly. But remember, this is a stew, not a soup.
- Feel free to chop the chorizo in sizes that you prefer. They are chopped in small cubes in this recipe, for ease of eating I like all of the components fitting on a spoon -- chorizo, chickpeas and bell peppers.