Swedish Saffron & Pistachio Cookies
Commonly known as 'Saffron Biscotti,' these easy-to-prepare cookies are a staple of Swedish Christmas tables. A perfect balance of crunch and sweet, enjoy a piece (or two) of these Saffron & Pistachio Cookies for your next coffee break or after-meal dessert! (VIDEO ABOVE)
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
- 100 grams butter (1/3 cup + 3 tbsp when melted), warm
- 1/8 tsp saffron powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 cups flour, heaping (might need a bit more when dough is wet)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup pistatchio, chopped roughly
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
Combine melted butter and saffron. Mix and set aside.
In a separate bowl, combine sugar and eggs. Mix.
Add saffron and butter mixture. Mix.
Add flour and baking powder. Mix thoroughly.
Add chopped pistachios. Mix until a dough starts to form. It's ok to use your hands at this point.
Form a ball of dough and cut in into four equal portions.
Form a log for each portion (about 27-29 cm long).
Place the logs on a tray, lined with a baking sheet.
Place the tray in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes.
Take the tray out of the oven and adjust the oven into 120°C (250°F).
Let the logs cool for 15 minutes.
Once properly cooled, cut logs into equal portions (about 1 & 1/2 cm width each).
Place the cookies back on the tray lined with baking sheet. Place the tray back in the oven for 30 minutes.
Take the tray out of the oven and turn the cookies to the other side. Place the tray back in the oven for 30 more minutes.
Take the cookies out of the oven and let cool.
- Add a bit more flour if the dough is too wet. It shouldn't be too wet (or too sticky) that you cannot form it into a ball.
- Raw or roasted pistachios can be used for this recipe. Go for whatever you prefer.
- Place your baking tray in the middle of the oven. Do not be concern about burning the cookies. It will never happen because of the low-temperature setting of the oven.