German Lentil Soup with Frankfurters
A dish that can be considered as either lentil soup or sausage soup, German Lentil Soup with Frankfurters is a deliciously comforting and filling meal that’s so easy to prepare. Enjoy a bowl of warmth now! (VIDEO ABOVE)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup bacon, cut into small cubes or bits
- 1 medium white onion, sliced finely
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut diagonally (about 1 medium-sized carrot)
- 1/2 cup celeriac (also known as celery root), cut into small cubes
- 2 medium potatoes, cut each into 12 portions
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 6 to 7 cups broth
- 1/2 to 1 tsp white vinegar
- salt and pepper, to season
- handful of parsley, also for garnish
Heat up olive oil on a medium to large pot.
Add bacon and onion. Cook until onions are soft.
Add carrots, celeriac, potatoes, lentils and broth. Cover and bring to a boil.
Keep simmering until vegetables and lentils are almost cooked.
Add white vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Add sliced frankfurters and half of parsley. Cover and continue simmering for a couple of minutes.
Serve. Garnish with remaining parsley.