A frozen treat that you would surely be making every summer! Pistachio semifreddo is delicious and so easy to prepare. Enjoy them for your next dessert or snack! (VIDEO ABOVE)
- 1 & 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 medium egg whites
- 1 cup heavy cream (or double cream)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or almond extract)
- 200 grams dark chocolate, optional
Toast the pistachios and chop them coarsely.
Combine double cream with 1 cup chopped pistachios. Mix and set aside in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Remove the cream with pistachios from the refrigerator and strain the pistachios. Set the pistachios aside. Add vanilla extract into the cream. Whip the cream. In a medium-sized bowl, beat the egg whites while slowly adding the sugar. Beat until the egg whites become stiff and glossy.
Fold the egg whites into the whipped cream, in batches. Fold to mix until you have added and combined all the egg whites.
Pour into your molds or tin. Cover the tins with a plastic wrap.
Freeze for at least 4 hours.
Remove from the tin and sprinkle with the remaining chopped pistachios.
- For this recipe, I use 12 of the semi-sphere molds. Each semi-sphere has got about 2 tablespoons of semifreddo mixture. A 2-lb tin can also be used.
- Do not skip the steps for toasting and infusing the pistachios into the cream.These will provide more depth to the pistachio flavor.
- You can use any size of ramekins that you want to form your semifreddo.Do not forget to line it with a plastic wrap before spooning the semifreddo mixture. When it’s ready for serving, just pull the edges of the plastic wrap to remove the semifreddo.
- Make sure you put a plastic wrap on top of the tin before you place it in the freezer. This will prevent ice crystals from forming on top.