Thinking of what to do with great tomatoes this season? Give Cheese and Tomato pie a try! Great for brunch, lunch or dinner. The creaminess of the cheese, sweetness of the tomatoes and earthiness of the black olives – you get all these contrasting flavors in every bite!
I have learned to stop comparing tomatoes in Stockholm and those in Italy. But every once in a while, (or should I say, a few weeks during the month of July and August), I get to see REALLY good tomatoes in Stockholm, albeit they’re imported from Spain.
During these few weeks, I try to cook with them as much as I can. This tomato pie recipe is one of my go-to recipes for great tomatoes.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESE AND TOMATO PIE
CAN I USE DIFFERENT TYPES OF TOMATOES?
Absolutely. I have opted for small, multi-colored tomatoes in making this recipe, because they look great – the colors and all that. But honestly, as long as it’s good tomatoes, don’t even think twice about using them. Plus, you don’t even need to use a LOT!
CAN I USE DIFFERENT KINDS OF CHEESE?
I have tried various types of cheese, but I personally feel that ‘parmigiano reggiano’ is a good one for the base cheese. If you cannot find any, try ‘grana padano’ or ‘manchego’ – basically something strong. For the second type of cheese, I have only tried ‘gouda’ and ‘fontina’ – both turned out well. Bottomline is that the second type of cheese should melt easily, but NOT watery.
CAN I USE DOUBLE CREAM INSTEAD?
Yep. If you prefer the taste of double cream, compared to half & half, then go for it! I have tried both and results were both great; I just prefer to have (less guilt 😉 ) while I enjoy a slice (or two!) of this cheese and tomato pie.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH CHEESE AND TOMATO PIE?
You can never go wrong with a small serving of salad on the side. It’s better to keep the dressing on the salad simple though, no creamy salad dressing – it should not clash with the creaminess of the cheese pie. Oh! A glass of chilled dry white wine wouldn’t hurt either! 😀
Still looking for brunch recipes, check out these posts –
For other summer recipes, check out these refreshing treats –
VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE CHEESE AND TOMATO PIE
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
MY AMAZON PICKS:
Great for brunch, lunch or dinner! The creaminess of the cheese, sweetness of the tomatoes and earthiness of the black olives — you get all these contrasting flavors in every bite of Cheese and Tomato Pie!
- 1 pc 8-inch savory pie crust, partially-baked
- 3 eggs
- 1 & 1/2 cups Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 1 cup Gouda, grated
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/s tsp ground pepper
- 15 pcs fresh basil leaves, chopped roughly
- 200 grams mixed tomatoes (about 1 cup), sliced
- 10 pcs black olives
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (375°F).
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, half and half, salt and pepper. Mix.
- Scatter grated parmigiano Reggiano evenly on partially-baked pie crust. Add grated gouda cheese evenly as well.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture into the pie crust.
- Add basil leaves on top.
- Place pie in the middle of the oven for 15-17 minutes, or until the cheese and milk mixture has solidified a bit.
- Take pie out of the oven and add sliced tomatoes on top. Add black olives.
- Return pie back in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top has turned slightly golden.
Set aside to cool down, around 15 minutes.
Last Updated on