Almond paste topped with the sweetness and crunch of caramelized, glazed almond bits – Swedish Almond Tart simply delivers a luxurious taste of ALMOND in every bite!
The Swedish Almond Tart (Toscabit) is like a ‘spin-off’ of the Swedish Almond Cake. Both use almond paste, but the main difference is, this being a tart, there is a pastry dough at the bottom.
I’ve seen some where they just sprinkle crushed nuts on top, but my favorite is where they mix the sliced almonds with caramelized sugar and add some more glaze on top. YUM!
I’m sure by now you have noticed that Swedes love using almond paste. Yep, you see them in most of their sweets. Other than cardamom, I reckon it’s the next best thing for treats. 🙂
For the Swedish Almond Tart, you use exactly the same kind of almond paste that you use in this other Swedish treat.
Personally, I always make more than what’s required and I just store them in the refrigerator (or freeze them for longer storage). When it’s time for me to use them, I add a tiny bit of milk just to loosen it up – just a teeny bit, it goes a long way (promise!).
As for the pastry dough, you can use whatever kind of pie or tart dough you prefer. I tend to use the regular pie dough for this – not the sweet kind. I think there is enough sweetness from the almond paste and the glaze on top.
You can also use a regular tart tin, not the mini ones that I used for this recipe.
Oh! What goes well with this tart? I always have mine with black coffee – either for snack or breakfast. I feel it should be paired with something that does not overpower it; after all, it’s all about the tart. 🙂
WANT TO TRY MORE SWEDISH RECIPES? CHECK OUT 15+ Swedish Food Recipes You Must Try!
FOR MORE TART IDEAS, CHECK OUT MY TARTS COLLECTION!
OR IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE ALMOND RECIPES, YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE POSTS –
- French Orange and Almond Flourless Cake
- Torta Caprese (Chocolate Almond Torte)
- German Flourless Christmas Cookies (Elisenlebkuchen)
Swedish Almond Tart
- 1 pc 8-inch pie/tart dough
- Almond Paste (see below)
- 100 grams almonds, slivered/sliced
- 75 grams butter, unsalted
- 75 grams cream
- 50 grams sugar
- 50 grams golden syrup
- butter, for greasing pan
- In a small pan, combine almonds, butter, cream, sugar and syrup. Bring to a slow boil and let the sugar completely dissolve. Keep the heat on medium-low and stir occasionally to make sure that it does not burn. Take off the heat once the sauce has thickened a bit.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (375 degrees F).
- Grease an 8-inch pan and arrange the pie/tart dough on it.
- Pour the almond paste on top of the pie/tart dough and place in the oven for around 20 minutes or until the paste and the dough has browned a bit.
- Take out of the oven and spread the glazed almonds on top of the tart. Put back in the oven and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the top turns golden.
- Set aside to cool. Serve.
- On making the almond paste, see Swedish Almond & Cardamom Mini Cakes.