Pretty much everyone in Sweden has made ‘Chokladbollar’ when they were kids. That alone should prove how easy it is; it’s almost like playing. Compared with other sweets or candies, these chocolate balls are healthier (seriously!) because there are rolled oats in them, not just sugar.
Even adults prefer it to candies, because they feel slightly ‘less’ sinful. At least I do.
You will find these chocolate balls in every coffee shop in Sweden. It is one of those traditional Swedish treats that people like to eat after a meal or just for a snack.
I am one of those who prefer it as a dessert. My only problem with those sold in cafes is that they are too big – they normally make them bigger than a golf ball, and it takes (at least) five bites to finish one. I like to finish mine in three bites (tops!), same time as I take the last sip of my coffee with it.
So, the solution? Yep, make it at home; pretend that I am a kid again. 🙂 (It should work though, since I grew up in Manila, not in Stockholm 😉 ).
Some people like to add powdered coffee or cold espresso when they do this at home. I do not. I like to sip my coffee and take a bite of my ‘chokladboll’, alternately – it’s a meditative moment for me. 😉
Give it a go! Dump everything in a bowl, mix with your hands, form into balls, roll in coconuts and that’s it! 😀
WANT MORE SNACK IDEAS? THEN CHECK OUT MY SNACKS COLLECTION!
FOR MORE SWEDISH RECIPES, CHECK OUT Authentic Swedish Recipes For You to Try!
OR IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE DESSERT RECIPES, YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE POSTS –
- 100 grams (7 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into small cubes
- 85 grams (heaping 1/3 cup) sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 120 grams (1 1/4 cup) rolled oats
- 50 grams (1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
- Mix all dry ingredients (except coconut) in a bowl. Add butter and continue mixing until well-combined.
- Form into small balls and roll each ball into the desiccated coconut to coat them properly.
- Refrigerate to chill them a bit. (But honestly, from my experience, you can already start eating them even without chilling. 😀 )