Prepare a bit of Finnish cuisine in your own home! Finnish Summer Soup is a traditional recipe that you will have no problem making on your own. Ingredients that are common in every cuisine, but with a flavor that is definitely Nordic – YUM!
At first glance you would think this easy vegetable soup is a winter or spring dish – there are peas after all. But for some reason, it does work serving it during summer, even if there is cream in it.
You would think it’s too heavy for summer, but nope.
Having said that, I typically make this vegetable soup the whole year round in Stockholm.
HOW TO MAKE FINNISH SUMMER SOUP
CAN I USE ANY OTHER VEGETABLES FOR SUMMER SOUP?
They said that you can include any vegetable that’s in season, but personally, I tend to stick to the vegetables that I included in this recipe.
If I cannot find any green beans, I replace them with sugar snaps.
CAN I USE FROZEN GREEN PEAS IF I CANNOT FIND FRESH ONES?
I have never used fresh peas for this soup, just because it’s not that easy to find them in Stockholm. Not to mention that a bag of frozen green peas is one of those items that I ALWAYS have in my freezer. 🙂
But if you have fresh peas, then yes, go ahead and use them.
CAN I USE MILK INSTEAD OF CREAM?
Yes, you can use milk. Some people prefer the opposite end, that is, they prefer to use double cream.
Me, I find my balance in the middle, hence half & half – creamy enough, with a bit less guilt. 😉
CAN I REPLACE WATER WITH STOCK?
You can try. But if you do, I suggest you stick to vegetable stock.
I have tried that a few times myself. But I opted to use just plain water in this recipe because that is how the Finns traditionally make this soup.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FINNISH SUMMER SOUP?
A platter of cheese and some bread – ALWAYS.
Now, if you want to complete the Finnish experience in the comfort of your home, serve it with some Finnish Carrot Bread Rolls! 😀
FOR MORE SUMMER RECIPES, CHECK OUT THESE POSTS –
- Panzanella (Bread and Tomato Salad)
- Swedish Salmon Burger with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Sicilian Watermelon Jelly (Gelo di Anguria)
VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE FINNISH SUMMER SOUP
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into about 1&1/2 inch length
- 1/2 cup green beans, halved (about 20 pcs)
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced (about 3 to 4 stalks, white part only)
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 & 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 & 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/2 cup peas
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- In a medium pan, bring water to a boil.
- Add potatoes. Cook until potatoes are slightly tender.
- Add carrots, green beans, green onions, butter, salt and pepper. Mix. Cook until carrots and beans are slightly tender.
- In a bowl, combine half and half and flour. Mix until flour has dissolved.
Once potatoes, carrots and green beans are fully cooked, add peas into the pan. Mix.
- Add the flour mixture. Mix to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Adjust seasoning by adding more salt and/or pepper.
(*This post contains some affiliate links)