Hands down one of the easiest desserts to prepare, this delicious Blueberry Clafoutis will show you how to make a basic clafoutis. From this point on, the possibilities are endless. Enjoy!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
Clafoutis is a classic French dessert made of a pancake-like batter and some fresh fruit.
Here in Stockholm, I make it all year-round; I just vary the fruit that I use.
I generally serve it warm – topped with ice cream during warmer months, and whipped cream for the rest of the seasons.
So, there really is no excuse not to give it a try. 🙂
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE BERRY CLAFOUTIS
CAN I REPLACE BLUEBERRIES WITH OTHER FRUITS?
The best variation that I usually do is cherries, blackberries, or plums. You can also do a mix of all types of berries, but I always use only one kind of fruit.
Feel free to experiment — but the base mixture for a clafoutis recipe would always be the same.
HOW TO MAKE CLAFOUTIS
Start by preheating your oven to 180°C (350°F) and greasing your pie dish with the softened butter. Set aside.
Combine the eggs, flour, sugar, vanilla extract, and milk in a blender pitcher (photo 1).
Blend until everything has been mixed evenly (photo 2).
Pour the batter into the greased dish (photo 3).
Add the blueberries into the batter, distributing them evenly (photo 4).
Place the dish carefully in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top turned golden.
Serve with some sprinkled powdered sugar, if desired.
TIPS ON MAKING THIS BASIC CLAFOUTIS RECIPE
- If you don’t have a stand blender, a hand mixer or a whisk is also good. The important thing is to make sure everything is incorporated evenly.
- Try to stick to a ceramic pan or a cast-iron – something thick and heavy to retain the heat better.
- You can use almond extract instead of vanilla extract; or (this is not traditional), some liquor would also work fine. I generally use Amaretto for all other kinds of fruit and Kirsch for pitted cherries.
IF YOU WANT MORE FRENCH RECIPES, THEN CHECK OUT MY OTHER POSTS:
- French Orange and Almond Flourless Cake
- Cauliflower Soup
- Quick & Easy Yogurt Cake
- French Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
OR IF YOU WANT MORE DESSERT IDEAS, THEN HEAD STRAIGHT TO MY DESSERTS COLLECTION!
Easy Blueberry Clafoutis
- 2 tsp butter, unsalted and softened
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 & 1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180 °C (350°F).
- Grease your pie dish generously with butter and set aside. (This recipe needs a pie dish that accommodates at least 1 quart of batter.)
Making the Batter:
- Using a blender, combine eggs, flour, sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until you get a smooth, combined batter.
- Pour the batter into your greased dish.
- Add the blueberries, placing them evenly into the batter.
Baking the Clafoutis:
- Place the dish in the middle of the oven.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the top has turned golden. You can also check by inserting a toothpick to see if its already cooked inside.
Serving your Berry Clafoutis:
- Take the dish out of the oven and let cool down for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if preferred.
- Slice and serve with ice cream or whipped cream on top.
- You can also use pitted cherries, blackberries, plums - or you can try using any of your favorite fresh fruits. This basic clafoutis recipe always delivers.
- A hand mixer or a whisk can be used if you don't have a stand blender. You just need to make sure that you mix everything evenly.
- Use a heavy and thick pan, like a cast-iron or ceramic dish, to keep the heat well.
- Almond extract works as a great alternative to vanilla extract. Feel free to use liquor as well, if you're up for it.