You want a chocolate cake with an extra oomph? Then you should try German Red Wine & Chocolate Cake – deliciously deep chocolate flavor in every bite! Enjoy a slice with coffee, tea, or with more wine!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
The ingredients for this cake remind me of Christmas – red wine, chocolate and spices. But it’s not just a Christmas cake though, you can make this cake the whole year round.
HOW TO MAKE GERMAN RED WINE & CHOCOLATE CAKE
CAN YOU BAKE WITH WINE?
Depending on the length of baking time, there would still be an amount of alcohol left in the cake. You wouldn’t taste the alcohol, but don’t be fooled into thinking that there is nothing left in there.
So, keep that in mind when you are serving it.
WHAT MAKES THIS DIFFERENT FROM OTHER CHOCOLATE BUNDT CAKE RECIPE?
The flavor in each bite of this cake is more complex – that’s the only way I can describe it.
I find that combining chocolate and red wine gives you a hint of earthiness and a deeper chocolate flavor.
For this particular recipe, the bitterness is not just balanced with sugar, but with the addition of chocolate chips as well.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT A REGULAR ROUND CAKE PAN FOR THIS RED WINE CAKE?
This is just to make sure that it does not brown too much, since the color is already dark to begin with.
TIPS ON MAKING THIS RED WINE AND CHOCOLATE BUNDT CAKE RECIPE
- Make sure you sift the dry ingredients. I am guilty of skipping it once and I regretted it right away. The lumps are annoying and it is not that easy to get rid of them.
- Do not overthink the type of red wine that you would be using. As long as its dry red wine, regardless of the type of grapes used – you are good to go.
- If you are using a bundt cake pan, make sure you have prepared it properly. Grease with butter, dust with flour and then turn it over and shake it to remove any excess flour.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS WINE AND CHOCOLATE CHIP BUNDT CAKE?
Hmmm… more wine? 😉
Seriously though, it goes well with almost anything, it just depends on what time of the day you want to have a slice (or two). 🙂
For breakfast or snack, you can have it with coffee, tea or milk. For dessert, you can enjoy it with another glass of wine.
You can also serve it with some whipped cream on the side, if you want some creaminess added to every bite. Otherwise, dusting of powdered sugar is enough. Enjoy!
WANT MORE GERMAN DESSERTS? THEN CHECK OUT 10+ German Dishes You Must Try
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE CAKE IDEAS, CHECK OUT MY CAKES COLLECTION!
German Red Wine and Chocolate Cake
- 6 medium eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 1 & 1/4 cups butter, unsalted & melted
- 1 & 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder, heaping
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180-degrees C (350-degrees F).
- Grease and flour bundt cake pan.
- Add melted butter and continue mixing.
- Add the dry ingredients and the red wine alternately, in batches while mixing continuously.
- Pour cake mixture into greased and floured bundt cake pan.
- Shake pan gently and place plan in the lower part of the oven for 55 to 60 mins.
- Set aside to cool down.
- Remove cake from pan and dust with powdered sugar.