Its almond cake coated with cardamom, so you get the taste of almond and cardamom in every bite of this soft and delicious treat. Swedish Almond & Cardamom Mini Cakes come in small sizes too, so you can eat as many as you want!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
This treat is officially called ‘Cardamom Mums’ in Sweden, which translates to ‘Cardamom Yums’; I thought about it for some time and I reckon calling it ‘Swedish Almond & Cardamom Mini Cakes’ makes more sense. At least to non-Swedes – because it explains it better…?
Cardamom has got to be the most popular spice in Sweden for pastries and sweet breads.
I initially thought it was almonds, specifically almond paste, but I realized that even the regular Swedish Cinnamon Buns have cardamom in them. To be honest, I do NOT blame them. I am also starting my love affair with cardamom nowadays. ;-).
You can say that this is a slight variation of a normal almond cake. Instead of using almond flour, the almond cake, per se, is made of almond paste.
The cardamom part is the coating that you sprinkle on the cake, once they’re out of the oven. Sugar and cardamom mixed together to coat each piece of almond cake – YUM!
HOW TO MAKE SWEDISH ALMOND & CARDAMOM MINI CAKES
CAN I USE CARDAMOM POWDER FOR THESE ALMOND CAKES?
You can, but I strongly suggest that you use cardamom seeds instead.
WHAT OTHER FORMS OF BAKING TINS CAN I USE TO MAKE THESE ALMOND CAKES?
Muffin tins can also be used for making these mini cakes.
For this recipe, I opted to use those aluminum molds that I also use for panna cotta. I just felt they’re easier to remove from the tin – no biggie.
Depending on the size of the tin, you might need to adjust the cooking time. Just keep an eye on them so the edges do not get too crunchy.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SWEDISH ALMOND & CARDAMOM MINI CAKES
Coffee or tea! I always have it with espresso; but any kind of coffee will be great with it. Same goes for tea, even if you like a lot of milk on your tea – still goes well with these babies.
UPDATE: Since cardamom seeds are more available than pods, I updated the recipe for cardamom seeds and I have used the same thing for the video. Still great results! 🙂
WANT MORE SWEDISH RECIPES? CHECK OUT 15+ Swedish Recipes You Should Try!
OR IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE CAKE IDEAS, CHECK OUT MY CAKES COLLECTION!
Swedish Almond & Cardamom Mini Cakes
For Almond Paste:
- 200 grams almond meal
- 100 grams sugar
- 50 grams powdered sugar
- 3 to 5 tsp milk
- 135 grams almond paste
- 42 grams butter, room temperature
- 2 drops bitter almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp cardamom seeds
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Prepare the almond paste by mixing the almond meal with the regular and powdered sugar. Add the milk slowly to get the proper consistency of the paste (i.e. not too wet). This almond paste recipe yields around 200 grams of paste.
- Combine the butter, egg and bitter almond extract with the right amount of almond paste and mix well.
- Spoon the cake mix into the baking tins. Make sure that you only fill up to a quarter of each tin. This recipe makes 6 medium sized tins. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Once mini cakes are ready, take them out of the oven; and out of their tins (as soon as they are cool enough to handle). Roll each piece in sugar and cardamom mixture, making sure each one is properly coated. Serve and enjoy!