A perfectly balanced, delightful dessert (or snack) that you can enjoy the whole-year round! Swedish Apple Crumble gives you an intense flavor of apple, and not sugar overload in every bite!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
The hardest part in preparing this dessert is chopping the apples in (almost) equal sizes.
But once that is done, you just mix everything, arrange it on a pan and try to stay patient for a few more minutes.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRUMBLE
IS SWEDISH APPLE CRUMBLE HEALTHY?
Hmmm… I would guess not as healthy as eating a fresh apple on its own. 🙂
Tell you what though, compared with my other favorite apple desserts, this apple crumble recipe is one of the healthiest.
No sugar or butter overload, just enough to draw out and highlight the flavor of the fruit. Plus, you’ve got some nuts in there!
WHICH APPLES ARE BEST FOR MAKING APPLE CRUMBLE?
As I’ve learned with my friends, this is a subjective question.
Personally, I like using those with softer, not-so-crunchy ones like Royal Gala.
But I have friends who prefer to use Pink Lady or Red Delicious – both of which they feel have deeper flavors.
One thing we agree on, skip the tart ones like Granny Smith.
CAN APPLE CRUMBLE BE REHEATED?
Yep, I always do that.
However, I don’t use the microwave for it. I feel it makes it mushy afterwards.
I prefer to put it back in the oven (lower part) for 10 to 15 minutes, sometimes covering it with a foil or baking sheet to avoid browning the top too much.
TIPS ON MAKING THIS EASY APPLE CRUMBLE RECIPE
- Do not skip the breadcrumbs, they help in absorbing the juices from the apple, making this snack less watery.
- If you want to use a different size of baking pan, this recipe will be enough for an 8-inch pie or tart pan.
- Adding a bit of cardamom brings this dessert to a different level. But try it only if you like cardamom ok?
- Make sure you place the pan on the lower part of your oven to avoid burning the slices of almonds on top.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SWEDISH APPLE CRUMBLE?
I normally don’t serve anything else with it, to be honest.
But if you have to, or you’re serving it during the warmer months, then a scoop of vanilla ice cream would always go well with it.
Have some now! 🙂
CRAVING FOR MORE APPLE RECIPES? YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE POSTS –
PERHAPS YOU WANT OTHER SWEDISH TREATS? THEN CHECK OUT MY 15+ Swedish Food Recipes You Must Try!
OR IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE IDEAS FOR DESSERTS, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY DESSERTS COLLECTION!
Intense apple flavor, and not sugar overload — that’s what you get in every spoonful of Swedish Apple Crumble! A perfectly balanced flavor, with some crunchy almonds. You will surely be making this the whole-year round! (VIDEO ABOVE)
- 3 large apples
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder, heaping
- 2 tbsp butter, heaping, chilled
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced, for topping
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
Peel apples. Remove the core and slice thinly.
Using two small pie pans or one 8-inch pie pan, arrange the apples evenly.
Add any excess sugar/breadcrumbs/cinnamon mixture on top of the apples.
Distribute butter on top of the apples. Cutting them into small bits will make this easier.
Top with some of the sliced almonds.
Place the pans on the lower half of the oven for 30-35 minutes.
Turn off oven and leave pan(s) for 5 minutes.
Top with more sliced almonds, if desired. Serve.
- Any 8-inch pie or tart pan can also be used for this recipe.
- If you like cardamom, try adding a bit of it.
- Whether you are baking or reheating the apple crumble, make sure you place it on the lower level of your oven to avoid burning the almonds on top.
- If you don't have any breadcrumbs on hand, try making it at home (How to Make Bread Crumbs).
Last Updated on