No crust! Yep, that’s one of the reasons why Swedish Apple Pie (Äppelsmulpaj) is one of the easiest pastries to prepare. Apple-packed flavor in every crunchy bite, and for less time — try it for your next afternoon snack!
It’s excellent with a cup of coffee or tea — and you can even get a scoop of ice cream with it!
What is Swedish apple pie?
Known locally as äppelsmulpaj, it’s an apple pie with no crust.
Of course, you still get the cinnamon-flavored apple filling, but in place of a crust, you have the crumble on top.
That is why it’s also sometimes called Swedish apple crumble pie — you get the perfect balance of apple, spice, and buttery crunch in every bite. Yum.
Swedish apple pie vs. regular apple pie
They both have apple slices and use flour, butter, and sugar separately from the filling.
The regular apple pie uses the dough for the bottom crust and the top cover, while the Swedish apple pie makes a crumble out of the dough.
I’d say äppelsmulpaj is closer to an apple crumble than a regular apple pie. 🙂
IF YOU WANT MORE AUTHENTIC SWEDISH DESSERTS, YOU WILL LIKE THESE POSTS!
- Apples – red apples are excellent for this Swedish apple crumble pie recipe; the sweeter they are, the better.
For reference, I typically use the pink lady variety when Swedish apples are not in season.
- Flour – all-purpose flour is all you need.
- Butter – unsalted, and make sure they’re chilled because it’s crucial for making the crumb.
- Oats – will give the crumble a better ‘sandy’ texture and crunch.
- Sugar – regular, granulated white sugar is perfect for making this crustless apple pie.
- Cinnamon powder – just use your favorite brand.
Start making this crustless apple pie by preheating the oven to 180°C (350°F).
Prepare the apples: chop, core, and peel them one at a time (photo 1).
Arrange the slices of apples in a pie dish — try to make them even on top (photo 2).
Combine two tablespoons of sugar with half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder (photo 3).
Mix to combine evenly.
Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top of the apples (photo 4).
Set the pie dish aside.
Using a food processor, combine the flour, oats, salt, butter, and remaining sugar (photo 5).
Pulse until you get clumps, but still moist texture of dough (photo 6).
Using your fingers, crumble the dough on top of the apples (photo 7).
Distribute the crumble evenly on the apple slices (photo 8).
Place your apple pie in the lower part of the oven for forty to forty-five minutes or until the top turns golden.
Remove from the oven and set aside for at least thirty minutes.
Serve your Swedish crustless apple pie with some ice cream or vanilla sauce!
- When using a metal pie pan instead of a ceramic or glass pie dish, do not forget to grease it with a bit of butter and a dusting of flour.
- There is no need to arrange the apple slices in a perfect circle; this is just to ensure that I get them all in.
- The food processor is not required to make the crumble; it just makes it easier.
Mixing and squeezing them with your fingers will do the trick as well.
- Make sure you don’t skip the salt in the crumble; it helps balance the sweetness of the topping.
- You can combine the apples with the sugar and cinnamon before placing them in the dish.
- Although not considered traditional for äppelsmulpaj, some add a bit of ground cardamom with the cinnamon and sugar.
So easy, right? So, what are you waiting for? Grab some apples now and start making this authentic Swedish apple pie recipe!
Swedish Apple Pie Recipe (Crustless!)
For Apple Filling:
- 2 pounds apples (about 6 medium-sized apples)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder, heaping
- 2 tsbp sugar, heaping
- 2/3 cup butter (150 grams), unsalted, diced and chilled
- 1 cup flour (120 grams)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (50 grams), heaping
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Chop, core, and peel the apples one at a time.NOTE: See step #1 on the post above to see how thin the apple slice should be.
- Place the apple pieces on a pie dish directly and arrange them evenly.
- Combine and mix 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1/2-teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top of the apples.
- Set the pie dish aside.
- Using a food processor, combine the flour, oats, salt, butter, and remaining sugar.
- Pulse until you get clumps of the dough — but just enough moisture in it.
- Using your fingers, crumble the dough on top of the apples, and do this evenly.
- Place your apple pie in the lower part of the oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the top turns golden.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Enjoy your Swedish apple crumble pie with some ice cream or vanilla sauce!
- Cook’s Tip #1: If you use a metal pie pan, do not forget to prepare it by greasing with butter and dusting it with a bit of flour.
- Cook’s Tip #2: Feel free to arrange the apple slices as you prefer, as long as they all fit in the baking dish.
- Cook’s Tip #3: Don’t skip the salt in the crumble; it makes a difference in balancing the sweetness of the topping.