You don’t have to wait for autumn to make this one. Swedish Apple Crumble will surely become one of your favorites. A delightful dessert (or snack) that you can enjoy the whole year round – and ready in a flash!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
The hardest part of preparing this treat is chopping the apples in (almost) equal, thin sizes.
But once that is done, you just mix everything, arrange it on a pan and try to stay patient for a few more minutes.
WHAT YOU NEED TO PREPARE THIS EASY APPLE CRUMBLE
WHICH APPLES ARE BEST TO USE?
As I’ve learned with my friends, this is a subjective question.
Personally, I like using those with softer, not-so-crunchy ones like Royal Gala. But I have friends who prefer to use Pink Lady or Red Delicious – both of which they feel have deeper flavors.
One thing we agree on, skip the tart ones like Granny Smith.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRUMBLE
Start by preheating your oven to 180°C (350°F).
Grease the pie dish with unsalted butter, generously, then set it aside.
Peel, core and chop the apples as thin as you can.
Using a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, breadcrumbs, and cinnamon powder (photo 1).
Mix evenly, making sure that the cinnamon powder is not stuck only on some apples (photo 2).
Arrange the apples in the greased pie dish (photo 3).
Place any excess breadcrumbs and cinnamon mixture on top of the apples. Add the chilled bits of butter, placing them as evenly as you can.
Add some of the sliced almonds (photo 4).
Place the pie dish in the lower part of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
Remove from the oven and set aside for five to ten minutes. Sprinkle more almonds on top, if you prefer.
Serve, with some ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
TOP TIPS IN MAKING THIS APPLE CRUMBLE RECIPE
- Do not skip the breadcrumbs; they help absorb the juices from the apple, making the crumble less watery. If you have not tried it yet, you can easily prepare your breadcrumbs at home.
- If you want to use a different size of baking pan, this recipe will be enough for an 8-inch pie or tart dish.
- Adding a bit of cardamom brings this dessert to a different level. But try it only if you like cardamom because it will change the flavor noticeably.
- Make sure you place the pan on the lower part of your oven to avoid burning the slices of almonds on top.
CAN I REHEAT THIS?
Yep, I always do that.
However, I don’t use the microwave for it. I feel it makes it mushy afterward.
I prefer to put it back in the oven (lower part) for 10 to 15 minutes, sometimes covering it with a foil or baking sheet to avoid browning the top too much.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS EASY APPLE CRUMBLE?
I usually don’t serve anything else with it, to be honest.
But if you have to, or you’re serving it during the warmer months, then a scoop of vanilla ice cream would always go well with it.
Have some now!
CRAVING FOR MORE APPLE OR FRUIT RECIPES? YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE POSTS –
- German Apple Fritters (Apfelküchle)
- Tuscan Apple Cake
- How to Make German Applesauce (Apfelmus)
- Easy Blueberry Clafoutis
- French Orange and Almond Flourless Cake
PERHAPS YOU WANT OTHER SWEDISH TREATS? THEN CHECK OUT MY 15+ Swedish Food Recipes You Must Try!
OR IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE IDEAS FOR DESSERTS, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT MY DESSERTS COLLECTION!
Swedish Apple Crumble
- 3 large apples
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder, heaping
- 3 tbsp butter, unsalted, chilled; (plus more for greasing)
- 1/4 cup almonds, sliced, for topping
PREPARING THE EQUIPMENT & APPLES:
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease the pie dish generously with softened butter.
- Peel the apples. Remove the core and slice thinly.
ASSEMBLING THE CRUMBLE:
- Arrange the sliced apples in the greased pie dish.
- Add any excess sugar/breadcrumbs/cinnamon mixture on top of the apples.
- Add chilled bits of butter, placing them evenly.
- Top with some of the sliced almonds.
BAKING THE CRUMBLE:
- Place the pans on the lower half of the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Turn off the oven, remove the dish, and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes.
SERVING YOUR SWEDISH APPLE CRUMBLE:
- Top with more sliced almonds.
- Add at least a scoop of ice cream or some whipped cream on top.
- You can use any type of apple that you preferred, except for the tart ones like Granny Smith.
- Any 8-inch pie dish or tart pan can also be used for this recipe.
- If you like cardamom, try adding a bit of it.
- Whether you are baking or reheating the crumble, make sure you place it on the lower level of your oven to avoid burning the almonds on top.
- If you don't have any breadcrumbs on hand, try making it at home my other post, How-to-Make Breadcrumbs.