Looking for an alternative to apple pie? Tuscan Apple Cake is the one to try! Sometimes called ‘Italian Apple Cake‘, this rustic apple cake from Tuscany is unbelievably easy to make — and yet so DELICIOUS!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
You will be surprised how DELIGHTFUL this treat is – especially once you realize how simple it is to make. The hardest part is probably the peeling and slicing of the apples (seriously!).
Tuscan Apple Cake or ‘Torta di mele’ in Italian has become my go-to apple dessert since I discovered it during our Toscana vacation, back in summer of 2014.
Nowadays, good apples are available all-year round.
That means, you do not need to wait for apple season to enjoy this authentic Torta di Mele recipe!
You do not need fancy ingredients to prepare this cake either.
Admittedly, I sometimes add liquor, but nowadays, I just stick to the base ingredients and then I drink my sweet wine with it – Vin Santo. 😀
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN APPLE CAKE
WHAT TYPE OF APPLE SHOULD I USE FOR THIS ITALIAN CAKE?
I have always used red apples for Italian Apple Cake.
I honestly don’t think the green ones would work in this case. Well, maybe you could add more sugar to balance the tangy flavor, but still, there is a vast difference in sweetness coming from sugar and sweetness coming from a fruit, right?.
Nah, call me ‘old school’, I will stick to my red apples. 🙂
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT SIZE OF PAN FOR THIS APPLE CAKE?
Yes, you can even use the square ones.
The only thing you need to remember is that when it’s a smaller pan, the cake would be slightly thicker, so you would need to adjust your cooking time accordingly.
Oh! One last thing, if your oven is one of those that’s only got heat coming from the top, make sure you place your baking pan on the lower part of your oven, not the middle.
We used to have one of those and I would always forget until I notice how fast the sides are turning brown. Annoying.
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH APPLE CAKE?
I love pairing this treat with a glass of sweet wine, or a shot of espresso, depending on the time of the day.
This cake is light enough that you can have it for breakfast or as an after-meal dessert – and filling enough for an afternoon snack.
Give this cake a try — especially if you like apple pie, this is a good alternative. To be honest, I have stopped making apple pie since I started making this cake.
Tuscan Apple Cake is just easier to prepare and involves less waiting time, but just as YUMMY! 🙂
WANT MORE APPLE RECIPES? CHECK OUT THESE POSTS –
OR IF YOU WANT MORE CAKE IDEAS, CHECK OUT MY CAKES COLLECTION!
Tuscan Apple Cake
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar (plus 1/2 tsp for dusting)
- 1 & 3/4 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- 3 apples, peeled and cored
- 25 grams butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Cut one apple into small cubes and the rest into thin slices. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees-C (350 degrees-F). Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan.
- Beat eggs and sugar together until the mixture turns pale yellow. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, milk and lemon zest. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the greased (and floured) cake pan.
- Add cubed apples on the mixture and arrange the thin slices of apple on top.
- Sprinkle the apples with ½ tsp sugar. Add the bits of butter randomly.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until the top has slightly turned golden. The sides will be the first portion to turn dark, that is normal.
- Take pan out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar (if desired). Serve.
- You can use a different size of cake pan, just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Feel free to use your favourite type of apple, or a combination of different varieties.
- Depending on your type of oven, do not forget to place the cake pan on the lower part of your oven, to prevent browning the tops and sides too much.