Expect the natural sweetness of dried dates in every bite of this Lebanese Date Cake. A deliciously soft and moist cake that is so easy to prepare — excellent for breakfast or after-meal treat!
Yep, this cake with dates is so light that you can absolutely serve it for breakfast.
While you might think fresh dates would be better for this recipe, dried dates have a more intense flavor — and are available all year round.
So, you can make this moist, flavor-packed, delicious date cake any time of the year. 🙂
Oh! And if you still have some pitted, dried dates left, try these Lebanese date cookies too!
IF YOU WANT MORE EASY LEBANESE RECIPES, YOU WILL LIKE THESE POSTS!
- Flour – you only need all-purpose flour for making this cake with dates.
- Dried dates – pitted and chopped finely to prepare for the date syrup.
- Butter – unsalted and softened.
- Sugar – granulated white sugar is excellent for making this date cake recipe.
- Eggs – medium-sized eggs (63 to 73 grams per piece).
- Baking soda, baking powder, and ground cinnamon – just use your favorite brand.
- Pistachios – roughly chopped for dusting the top of your Lebanese date cake.
Start preparing this easy date cake by boiling a cup of water in a small saucepan.
Add the chopped dried dates and the baking soda.
Adjust heat to low.
Continue cooking (stirring often) until the sauce slightly thickens — about ten minutes, then set aside to cool.
Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F), and prepare an 8-inch cake pan by greasing it with butter and dusting it lightly with flour — then set aside.
Using a medium-sized bowl, sift and combine the flour, baking powder, and ground cinnamon.
Mix butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
Mix until creamy, then add eggs and mix to combine.
Pour the cooled date syrup.
Mix to combine evenly.
Add the dry ingredients, and fold to combine.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
Place in the lower part of the oven for twenty-five to thirty minutes, or when a toothpick comes out dry when inserted.
Remove from the cake pan, and dust with chopped pistachios on top.
Serve your Lebanese date cake with your favorite beverage — enjoy!
- Add the baking soda slowly with the dates to avoid overflowing the liquid.
- For reference, the date syrup typically makes 1 & 1/4 cups once cooled.
- When you add the dry ingredients into the cake batter with dates, make sure you fold them gently and do not overmix — just enough to combine.
- You can chop the pistachio roughly or use a food processor to grind them into fine form for dusting if that’s what you prefer.
- Using a food processor. Instead of chopping, you can use a food processor to chop the dried dates and turn them into a thicker texture.
Note that some of them will turn out to be paste-like and totally disappear in the date cake batter.
- Other chopped nuts. Chopped blanched almonds or walnuts are excellent alternatives to pistachios.
You can also just use powdered sugar to dust your cake with dates. However, remember that it will add to the overall sweetness of the cake.
Looks so tempting, right? So, give this Lebanese date cake recipe a try this weekend — even for breakfast! 🙂
OR YOU CAN GET MORE IDEAS FROM THIS LIST OF INTERNATIONAL CAKES!
Lebanese Date Cake Recipe
- 1 & 1/2 cups dried dates (about 200 grams), pitted and finely chopped
- 1 & 1/4 cups flour (about 150 grams), plus more for dusting the cake pan
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 7 tbsp butter (100 grams or 3.5 ounces), unsalted (plus more for greasing)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 cups pistachios, roughly chopped
- Start by boiling a cup of water in a small saucepan.
- Add the chopped dates and the baking soda (slowly), then adjust the heat to low.
- Continue cooking until the sauce slightly thickens — usually takes me about ten minutes, then set aside to cool. (Note: Remember to stir almost constantly during this time).
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F), and prepare an 8-inch cake pan by greasing it with butter and dusting it lightly with flour — then set aside.
- Using a medium-sized bowl, sift and combine the flour, baking powder, and ground cinnamon, then set aside for later.
- In a larger mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs and mix.
- Pour the cooled date syrup and mix to combine evenly.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients, and fold to combine — do not overmix.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Place in the lower part of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or when a toothpick comes out dry when inserted.
- Remove from the cake pan, and dust with chopped pistachios on top.
- Serve hot or cold — enjoy your Lebanese date cake!
- Cook’s Tip #1: Remember to add the baking soda slowly with the dates. It is to avoid causing the saucepan to overflow with bubbles.
- Cook’s Tip #2: As a guide, the date syrup typically makes 1 & 1/4 cups once cooled.
- Cook’s Tip #3: Make sure you fold the dry ingredients gently and do not overmix the date cake batter — just enough to combine.
- Cook’s Tip #4: You can chop the pistachio roughly or use a food processor to grind them into fine form for dusting if that’s what you prefer.