Are you looking for a carrot cake recipe from scratch? Here you go – and with the additional flavor of orange too! Carrot and Orange Cake (Torta di Carote e Arancia) is a delicious and simple treat that’s perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert!
Carrot cake was the first cake that I learned to make when I was a teenager (Dang, I suddenly feel so old!). I remember I always like to add raisins and bits of walnuts in the cake mix back then. This version of carrot cake, however, feels like a ‘mature’ version of that one from my younger days. 😉
I had this carrot and orange cake (Torta di carote e arancia) just this summer when we went to Calabria (in Southern Italy). I know that there are some carrot cake recipes out there that uses a bit of orange juice, but it has never crossed my mind to use this much for the cake mix. The result, however, is a light and delicate flavor of orange that fully complements the sweetness of the carrots.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT AND ORANGE CAKE
CAN I REPLACE FRESH ORANGE JUICE WITH THOSE IN CARTONS?
Yes, you can. But fruit juice that comes in cartons tend to be sweeter than the freshly squeezed ones. So, if that’s what you are using, use less sugar for the cake mix.
WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE FOR POTATO FLOUR?
Corn starch is a perfect substitute for potato flour. I normally use corn starch for thickener, just ran out of it this time. (A side note: I noticed that in Sweden, they generally use potato flour for thickening, not corn starch. ‘Potato flour’ was not even in my radar before I moved to Stockholm 😉 ).
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF BAKING PAN?
Absolutely. I have used various shapes and sizes, and as long as you are mindful of the small adjustments for the cooking time – no problem with the cake.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CARROT AND ORANGE CAKE?
I always go simple with this one. For breakfast or snack, I prefer it with espresso; and for dessert, I love having a slice with a cup of tea (not the flowery ones though). So, have a go at it and tell me in the comments section what you normally pair your carrot and orange cake with! 🙂
If you love cooking with carrots or oranges, check out these posts –
Or if you’re looking for a traditional Italian cake, try this rustic Tuscan Apple Cake (Torta di Mele).
VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE CARROT AND ORANGE CAKE
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
MY AMAZON PICKS:
- 2 cups carrot, grated (about 2 large or 3 medium-sized carrots)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup potato flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 200 grams butter (about 3/4 cups and 2 tbsp), unsalted, softened
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 large oranges)
- pinch of salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- powdered sugar for dusting, optional
- Preheat oven to 200°C (375°F).
- Combine and cream sugar and butter. Add egg yolks. Mix.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon powder, potato flour and salt. Mix well.
- Add carrots and orange juice. Mix.
On a separate bowl, beat egg whites until it becomes stiff.
- Fold a small amount of egg whites into the cake mixture. Add the remaining egg whites and continue folding until properly combined.
Pour cake mixture into a 9-inch baking pan that’s been greased and lined with baking sheet.
- Make sure bubbles are removed from the pan by gently tapping the pan on the counter.
- Place baking pan in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
Dust the cake with powdered sugar and garnish with some orange slices, if desired.
Last Updated on