Perfect side dish for grilled fish or meat! You can never go wrong with Portuguese Salt-Crusted Baked Potatoes. No mixing or measuring required. Oh, and no mushy potatoes either!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
This dish is another favorite from our Lisbon trip. We’ve had it with grilled seafood, fish, and bacalao — and it never disappoints.
Don’t think that the potatoes would be salty. Nope. The salt only gives it a hint of saltiness. Just enough to make its flavor shine.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE SALT CRUSTED POTATOES
DO I NEED A SPECIAL KIND OF POTATOES FOR THIS?
Based on my experience, new potatoes or baby potatoes always turn out great.
It’s also better to keep their skin on, so make sure you rinse them properly.
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF SALT TO USE?
I’ve tried both rock salt and sea salt, they both work fine for this recipe.
Unfortunately, iodized salt does not work because of its texture.
HOW TO MAKE SALT CRUSTED BAKED POTATOES – Step by Step
Preheat your oven to 200°C (375°F).
Using a cast-iron skillet or a medium-sized oven-proof pan, spread half of the salt into the pan. Use your hands to even out the top (photo 1).
Place the potatoes on top of the salt.
Add the remaining salt on top of the potatoes. Try to even out the distribution of the salt (photo 2).
Place skillet in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.
Set aside to cool the potatoes. Transfer into a plate and serve.
TOP TIPS ON MAKING POTATOES BAKED IN SALT
- Make sure you even out the salt before and after adding the potatoes.
- Try to use potatoes of identical sizes; this will help in cooking them at the same time.
- Keep the skin on the potatoes; just don’t forget to wash (or brush) them properly.
- Do not throw the salt after cooking. You can definitely reuse them, just not for seasoning any dish or food.
IF YOU WANT ANOTHER PORTUGUESE DISH, THEN CHECK OUT Portuguese Tomato Rice (Arroz de Tomate)!
OR IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE POTATO RECIPES, THEN YOU MIGHT LIKE –
- German Potato Soup (Kartoffelsuppe)
- Swedish Potatoes with Dill Cream Sauce
- Focaccia Barese
- Baked Potato and Zucchini Bites
PERHAPS YOU WANT MORE IDEAS FOR SIDE DISHES? THEN HEAD STRAIGHT TO MY SIDE DISHES COLLECTION!
Portuguese Salt-Crusted Baked Potatoes
- 1/2 kg potatoes
- 2 cups sea salt
- parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (375°F).
- Place the potatoes on top of the salt.
- Add the remaining sea salt on top of the potatoes. Try to do this evenly. There is no need to cover an entire potato with salt.
- Place the skillet or tray into the oven for 45 to 50 mins, or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Take the skillet or tray out of the oven. Set aside to let the potatoes cool.
- Transfer the potatoes into a plate and serve.
- Baby potatoes (also called new potatoes) are the best kind to use for this dish
- Try to keep the potatoes in equal sizes to help in cooking them at the same time.
- Do not remove the skin, so make sure you rinse them properly.
- Sea salt or rock salt can be used in this recipe. Iodized salt will not work because of its texture.
- Do not throw the salt after using them. Store them in a dry place and reuse them -- but absolutely NOT for seasoning.