A traditional French recipe, this Quick & Easy Yogurt Cake, will surely become one of your favorites. Delicious, hassle-free, and so quick to prepare! YUM!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
Greece. Italy. Almost all countries I’ve been to have their version of this cake. So far, the French one is my favorite.
Yes, yogurt is not just for breakfast. You can use it for dips, salads, and desserts.
This cake here is a personal top favorite for uncomplicated baking. 🙂
WHAT DOES YOGURT DO TO A CAKE?
Aside from being excellent for you, good ol’ yogurt keeps the cake moist.
But the best part, the acidity in it helps in making the finished product fluffy and light.
What more can you ask from a cake?
- Flour – all-purpose flour is all you need.
- Sugar – regular white sugar is fine for this easy yogurt cake recipe.
- Eggs – at room temperature.
- Baking powder
- Orange – you would only be using the skin of the orange.
- Butter – unsalted butter.
- Salt – you might need to use less salt if you are using salted butter.
- Olive oil – the milder the olive oil is, the better for the cake.
Fruity is fine too, but if possible, do not use the robust, bolder ones.
- Yogurt – the main thing to remember is to use the plain ones, not the flavored type.
If you use any of the flavored types, bear in mind that it might overpower the orange flavor of your French yogurt cake.
Start by preheating your oven into 180°C (350°F) and preparing your loaf tin by greasing it with butter and dusting it with a bit of flour.
Using a medium to a large mixing bowl, sift and combine flour, baking powder, and half a cup of sugar (photo 1).
For the remaining half cup of sugar, use it to rub the orange zest (photo 2).
Add the orange zest and sugar to sifted dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix evenly (photo 3).
In a separate bowl, combine and whisk yogurt and eggs (photo 4).
Add olive oil to the yogurt and egg mixture (photo 5).
Gently add and combine the dry ingredients in batches (photo 6).
Mix until thoroughly combined (photo 7).
Pour the cake batter into the prepared loaf tin and use a spatula to even the top (photo 8).
Place pan on the lower half of the oven for fifty to fifty-five minutes or until the top has turned golden.
Set aside for twenty minutes to cool, then remove from the pan.
Serve your French yogurt cake with sprinkled powdered sugar on top, if desired.
- You can use a different kind of baking pan. This easy yogurt cake recipe will work on any 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan.
- Do not skip the rubbing of the orange zest with sugar. It helps in bringing out more of the orange aroma for the yogurt cake.
- Place your baking pan in the lower part of the oven, instead of the middle, to avoid browning the top too quickly.
- You can add your favorite orange liquor if you want. Please do this by adjusting the amount of orange juice and replacing it with alcohol.
- If the top of your French yogurt cake is getting too dark, do not hesitate to cover it with a foil.
DO YOU WANT MORE FRENCH RECIPES? THEN YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE:
- French Orange and Almond Flourless Cake
- Easy Blueberry Clafoutis
- French Cauliflower Soup
- French Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
OR IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE CAKE IDEAS, THEN CHECK OUT MY CAKE COLLECTION!
Quick & Easy Yogurt Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven at 180°C (350 °F).
- Grease your loaf pan with butter.
Making French yogurt cake:
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift and combine flour, baking powder, and ½ cup sugar.
- Rub orange zest with the remaining ¼ cup of sugar.
- Add orange zest and sugar into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt and eggs. Whisk.
- Add olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add and gently mix the dry ingredients in batches. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour batter into the greased pan. Use a spatula to even the top of the cake.
- Place pan on the lower half of oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the top has turned golden.
Serving yogurt cake:
- Set aside for at least 20 mins to cool.
- Remove cake from the pan (careful, the pan might still be hot).
- Serve and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Cook’s Tip #1: Any 8-inch or a 9-inch cake pan would work for this easy yogurt cake recipe.
- Cook’s Tip #2: Make sure you do not skip the orange zest rubbing with sugar.It will help in releasing more of the orange aroma.
- Cook’s Tip #3: Remember to place your cake pan in the lower part of the oven to avoid browning the top too quickly.
- Cook’s Tip #4: If the top of your French yogurt cake gets too dark, cover it with a foil until it’s cooked.