A traditional French recipe, this Quick & Easy Yogurt Cake, will surely become one of your favorites. Delicious, hassle-free, and so quick to prepare! YUM!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
Greece. Italy. Almost all countries I’ve been to have their version of this cake. So far, the French one is my favorite.
Yes, yogurt is not just for breakfast. You can use it for dips, salads, and desserts.
This cake here is a personal ‘top favorite‘ for uncomplicated baking. 🙂
WHY YOGURT IN CAKE?
Aside from being good for you, good ol’ yogurt keeps the cake moist.
But the best part, the acidity in it helps in making the finished product fluffy and light.
What more can you ask from a cake?
HOW TO MAKE YOGURT CAKE
WHY DO I HAVE TO RUB THE ORANGE ZEST WITH SUGAR?
It’s a trick that helps in releasing the aroma of the orange zest.
You don’t need to use a lot of sugar.
Just enough to rub the zest, and you will get a MORE intense orange flavor for your cake mixture.
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF YOGURT TO USE?
I have tried Greek, Swedish, and Turkish yogurt – they all turned out great.
The main thing to remember is to use the natural ones, not the flavored type.
If you use any of the flavored types, bear in mind that it might overpower the orange flavor in this French yogurt cake recipe.
IS THIS ORANGE YOGURT CAKE HEALTHY?
Let’s see, you have olive oil instead of butter, and natural yogurt instead of cream.
Yep, definitely healthier than your average cake.
So, don’t feel guilty reaching for that second slice. 🙂
TIPS ON MAKING THIS EASY YOGURT CAKE RECIPE:
- You can use a different kind of baking pan. This recipe will work for any 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan.
- Place your baking pan in the lower part of the oven, instead of the middle.
- If the top of the cake is getting too dark, do not hesitate to cover it with a foil.
- You can add your favorite orange liquor if you prefer. Please do this by adjusting the amount of orange juice and replace it with the liquor.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FRENCH YOGURT CAKE?
Coffee or wine. That’s how we enjoy it at home.
Coffee when we’re having a slice (or two) for breakfast or snack. Or a glass of dry wine when we have it for dessert.
Go ahead! Try it with your favorite beverage!
LOOKING FOR MORE CAKE IDEAS? THEN CHECK OUT MY CAKES COLLECTION!
OR IF YOU WANT ANOTHER YOGURT RECIPE, THEN YOU MIGHT LIKE Swedish Salmon Burger with Lemon Yogurt Sauce!
Quick & Easy Yogurt Cake
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large orange, zest
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp butter, for greasing the pan
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven at 180°C (350 °F).
- Rub orange zest with the remaining ¼ cup of sugar.
- Add orange zest and sugar into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
- On a separate bowl, combine yogurt and eggs. Whisk.
- Add olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add and gently mix the dry ingredients in batches. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into pan or tin. Use a spatula to even the top of the cake mixture.
- Place pan on the lower half of oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the top has turned golden.
- Set aside for at least 20 mins to cool down.
- Remove cake from the pan.
- Serve. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Any 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan would work for this recipe.
- Make sure you place your cake pan in the lower part of the oven to avoid browning the top too quickly.
- If the top of the cake gets too dark, cover it with a foil until its cooked.