A traditional French recipe, this Quick & Easy Yogurt Cake, will surely become one of your favorites. Delicious, hassle-free, and so quick to prepare! YUM!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
Greece. Italy. Almost all countries I’ve been to have their version of this cake. So far, the French one is my favorite.
Yes, yogurt is not just for breakfast. You can use it for dips, salads, and desserts.
This cake here is a personal top favorite for uncomplicated baking. 🙂
WHY YOGURT IN CAKE?
Aside from being excellent for you, good ol’ yogurt keeps the cake moist.
But the best part, the acidity in it helps in making the finished product fluffy and light.
WHAT YOU NEED TO PREPARE THIS EASY YOGURT CAKE
WHAT IS THE BEST TYPE OF YOGURT TO USE?
I have tried Greek, Swedish, and Turkish yogurt – they all turned out great.
The main thing to remember is to use the plain ones, not the flavored type.
If you use any of the flavored types, bear in mind that it might overpower the orange flavor in this French yogurt cake recipe.
WHAT KIND OF OLIVE OIL?
The milder the olive oil is, the better for the cake. Fruity is fine too, but if possible, do not use the robust, bolder ones.
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH YOGURT CAKE – STEP by STEP
Start by preheating your oven int0 180°C (350°F). Then on a medium to a large mixing bowl, sift and combine flour, baking powder, and half a cup of sugar (photo 1).
For the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, use it to rub the orange zest (photo 2).
Add the orange zest and the remaining sugar to the rest of the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix evenly (photo 3).
Using a separate bowl, combine and whisk yogurt and eggs (photo 4).
Add olive oil to the yogurt and egg mixture (photo 5).
Gently add and combine the dry ingredients in batches (photo 6).
Mix until thoroughly combined (photo 7).
Grease a cake pan (or loaf tin) with butter and pour cake mixture. Use a spatula to even the top of the cake mixture (photo 8).
Place pan on the lower half of oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the top has turned golden.
Set aside for 20 mins to cool down and then serve with sprinkled powdered sugar on top, if desired.
TOP TIPS FOR MAKING THIS EASY YOGURT CAKE
- You can use a different kind of baking pan. This recipe will work for any 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan.
- Do not skip the rubbing of the orange zest with sugar. It helps in bringing out more of the orange aroma.
- Place your baking pan in the lower part of the oven, instead of the middle, to avoid browning the tops too quickly.
- If the top of the cake is getting too dark, do not hesitate to cover it with a foil.
LOOKING FOR MORE CAKE IDEAS? THEN CHECK OUT MY CAKES COLLECTION!
OR IF YOU WANT ANOTHER YOGURT RECIPE, THEN YOU MIGHT LIKE Swedish Salmon Burger with Lemon Yogurt Sauce!
Quick & Easy Yogurt Cake
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large orange, zest
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp butter, for greasing the pan
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat oven at 180°C (350 °F).
- Rub orange zest with the remaining ¼ cup of sugar.
- Add orange zest and sugar into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
- On a separate bowl, combine yogurt and eggs. Whisk.
- Add olive oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add and gently mix the dry ingredients in batches. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into pan or tin. Use a spatula to even the top of the cake mixture.
- Place pan on the lower half of oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the top has turned golden.
- Set aside for at least 20 mins to cool down.
- Remove cake from the pan.
- Serve. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Any 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan would work for this recipe.
- Make sure you do not skip the rubbing of the orange zest with sugar. It will help in releasing more of the orange aroma.
- Remember to place your cake pan in the lower part of the oven to avoid browning the top too quickly.
- If the top of the cake gets too dark, cover it with a foil until its cooked.