This easy French Yogurt Cake, a traditional recipe, will indeed become one of your favorites. Delicious, hassle-free, and so quick to prepare. Try it on your next afternoon snack!
Greece. Italy. Almost all countries I’ve been to have their version of this cake.
So far, the French one is my favorite.
Yes, yogurt is not just for breakfast. You can use it for dips, salads, and desserts.
This French yogurt cake recipe is a personal favorite for uncomplicated baking. 🙂
IF YOU WANT MORE EASY FRENCH RECIPES, THEN YOU WILL LIKE THESE POSTS!
- Flour – all-purpose flour is all you need to make this French yogurt cake.
- Sugar – regular granulated white sugar is excellent for this cake recipe.
- Eggs – medium-sized eggs (about 63 to 73 grams per piece) and at room temperature.
- Baking powder – just use your favorite brand.
- Orange – you would only be using the skin of the orange for this easy yogurt cake recipe.
- Butter – I generally use unsalted butter.
- Salt – you might need to use less salt if you use salted butter.
- Olive oil – the milder the olive oil is, the better the yogurt cake.
Fruity is fine too, but do not use the robust, bolder ones if possible.
- Yogurt – the main thing to remember is to use the plain ones, not the flavored type.
If you use any of the flavored types, bear in mind that it might overpower the orange flavor in this French yogurt cake recipe.
Start preparing French yogurt cake by preheating your oven to 180°C (350°F).
Using a medium to a large mixing bowl, sift and combine flour, salt, baking powder, and half a cup of sugar.
For the remaining half cup of sugar, use it to rub the orange zest.
Add the orange zest and sugar to the sifted dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
Mix to combine.
In a separate bowl, combine yogurt and eggs.
Whisk to combine evenly.
Add olive oil to the yogurt and egg mixture.
Add the dry ingredients in batches.
Mix gently until thoroughly combined.
Grease your loaf tin with butter.
Pour the cake batter into the greased loaf tin and use a spatula to even the top.
Place the pan on the lower half of the oven for fifty to fifty-five minutes or until the top has turned golden.
Set aside for twenty minutes to cool, then remove from the pan.
If desired, serve your French yogurt cake with sprinkled powdered sugar on top.
- You can use a different kind of baking pan. This easy yogurt cake recipe will work on any 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan.
- Do not skip the rubbing of the orange zest with sugar. It helps in bringing out more of the orange aroma of the yogurt cake.
- Place your baking pan in the lower part of the oven, instead of the middle, to avoid browning the top too quickly.
- If the top of your French yogurt cake is getting too dark, do not hesitate to cover it with a foil.
What does yogurt do to a cake?
Aside from being excellent for you, good ol’ yogurt keeps the cake moist.
But the best part is that the acidity helps make the finished product fluffy and light.
What more can you ask from a cake?
See how easy and simple it is? Try making this easy yogurt cake recipe this weekend, and let me know what you think!
OR GET MORE IDEAS FROM THIS LIST OF INTERNATIONAL CAKES!
IF YOU WANT MORE EUROPEAN RECIPES, YOU WILL LIKE THESE RECIPES BY COUNTRY!
French Yogurt Cake Recipe
- 1 & 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large orange, grated zest
- 3/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp butter, for greasing the pan
- powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350 °F).
- Sift and combine flour, salt, baking powder, and ½ cup sugar in a medium-sized bowl.
- Rub orange zest with the remaining ¼ cup of sugar.
- Add orange zest and sugar into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine yogurt and eggs. Whisk.
- Add olive oil and whisk to combine.
- Add and gently mix the dry ingredients in batches. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Grease your loaf pan with butter.
- Pour the mixture into the greased pan and use a spatula to even the top of the cake mixture.
- Place it on the lower half of the oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the top has turned golden.
- Set aside for 20 mins to cool down.
- Remove the cake from the pan (careful, the pan might still be hot).
- Serve and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Cook’s Tip #1: Any 8-inch or a 9-inch cake pan would work for this easy yogurt cake recipe.
- Cook’s Tip #2: Make sure you do not skip the orange zest rubbing with sugar. It will help in releasing more of the orange aroma.
- Cook’s Tip #3: Remember to place your cake pan in the lower part of the oven to avoid browning the top too quickly.
- Cook’s Tip #4: If the top of your French yogurt cake gets too dark, cover it with a foil until it’s cooked.