Looking for some slightly different tea biscuits? Give these Swedish cookies a try! ‘Hazelnut & Cardamom Cookies‘ will surely satisfy your sweet tooth!
Coffee shops and bakeries in Sweden normally do not have tons of cookies. Their sweet selections are mostly pastries or cakes. Swedish cookies (or tea biscuits) are mostly sold in supermarkets, in packages. I don’t mind buying them in packs, but if making them is this EASY, why bother buying them. Right?
HOW TO MAKE SWEDISH HAZELNUT & CARDAMOM COOKIES
There is only one thing that might cause you a problem here – room temperature butter. If the butter is not ready, you will have a hard time forming the dough.
However, if you just keep mixing it – by hand — to help in warming up the butter, you will eventually get there. It just takes patience.
If you cannot find cardamom seeds, it’s ok to use cardamom powder. You might want to add a bit more powder though. Grinding the seeds will give you a more intense flavor and aroma.
If you’ve seen some of my posts on other Swedish desserts, you would have noticed that most of them have cardamom (or almond 😉 ). We are so used to having them in a LOT of Swedish recipes.
If you are not used to it, go easy on the cardamom in this recipe. I know some people do not like it as much. Me, personally, I love it to the point that even my favorite cologne is ‘Mimosa & Cardamom’! Yep, if I cannot eat it, I will sniff it. 😀
Hazelnut & cardamom cookies are great with tea, coffee or even with a glass of milk. Enjoy a piece (or two) for your next snack, or mini-break! 🙂
FOR MORE SWEDISH RECIPES, CHECK OUT Swedish Treats For You To Try!
OR IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE COOKIE RECIPES, YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE POSTS –
- Italian Crackers (Taralli)
- German Baked Marzipan Bites
- German Flourless Christmas Cookies (Elisenlebkuchen)
- 150 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, chopped roughly (or into bits)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
- Preheat oven to 180-degrees C (350-degrees F).
- Grind cardamom seeds. You can use a mortar and pestle or a mini food processor to do this.
- Combine butter and sugar. Mix well.
- Add hazelnuts, flour, baking powder and cardamom. Combine and mix until a dough is formed.
- Place dough between two baking sheets and flatten with a rolling pin. Do this until you get desired thinness of the dough.
- Cut dough into cookie shapes. Place each cookie on a pan with a baking sheet.
- Place pan in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how thick the cookies are. Take pan out of the oven once the cookies are turning a bit golden (or darker).
- Let cookies cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with more cardamom (if desired). Serve.