Looking for some slightly different tea biscuits? Give Swedish Hazelnut & Cardamom Cookies a try for your next coffee break or snack. Serve it with your favorite coffee, tea or a tall glass of milk. Stop wondering what cardamom taste like and find out with this easy cookie recipe!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
Coffee shops and bakeries in Sweden normally do not have tons of cookies. Their sweet selections are mostly pastries or cakes.
Cookies in Stockholm (or tea biscuits) are mostly sold in supermarkets, in packages. I don’t mind buying them in packs, but if making them is this EASY, why bother buying them.
HOW TO MAKE HAZELNUT & CARDAMOM COOKIES
WHAT DOES CARDAMOM TASTE LIKE?
This is definitely subjective.
But for me, cardamom tastes like mint and cinnamon combined.
Not everyone likes it though, I have friends who hate cardamom because they feel that it tastes like soap.
Hmmm. I never get that. Perfume, maybe, but definitely not soap. 😀
CAN I USE CARDAMOM POWDER FOR THESE SWEDISH CARDAMOM COOKIES?
Yes, but the aroma and flavor would not be as intense.
Trust me, it makes a HUGE difference.
CAN I USE HAZELNUT FLOUR FOR THESE HAZELNUT COOKIES?
When we were living in Frankfurt, hazelnut flour is sold in all supermarkets. They’re as common as almond flour. I have used them numerous times in making these hazelnut cookies.
But if you like some bits of hazelnuts in your cookies, then you’re better off grinding them yourself. This way you can control the texture of the flour.
Oh! Don’t bother removing the skins either. I personally think it adds depth to the over-all flavor of the cookies.
TIPS ON MAKING HAZELNUT COOKIES –
- You can cut the cookie into different sizes if you want. Just keep a close look at them because smaller ones will need shorter cooking time, and so on.
- Make sure the butter is in room temperature. If it’s not and you already started on the recipe, just keep mixing with your hands (instead of spatula or wooden spoon). The warmth of your hand will help in softening the butter in the dough.
- Do not skip the baking sheet on top of the dough when rolling. Even if you try to dust your rolling pin with flour, it will still stick to the dough. Baking sheet also makes it easier for you to rotate the dough while rolling it.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH HAZELNUT & CARDAMOM COOKIES?
Coffee, tea or a glass of milk.
I actually tried it with some chilled rosé last week — and it was surprisingly good too! (Don’t judge me, ok? 😀 )
FOR MORE SWEDISH RECIPES, CHECK OUT 15+ Swedish Food Recipes You Must Try!
OR IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE COOKIE IDEAS, CHECK OUT MY COOKIES COLLECTION!
NOTE: This post was originally published on February, 2018. Video, new images, as well as step by step process have now been added.
Looking for something different for your afternoon coffee or tea? Give these Swedish treat a try! 'Hazelnut & Cardamom Cookies' will surely satisfy your sweet tooth! (VIDEO ABOVE)
- 150 grams butter (about 2/3 cups), room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
- Preheat oven to 180-degrees C (350-degrees F).
- Add flour, baking powder, ground hazelnut and ground cardamom. Mix to combine.
- Use your hands to mix until a dough is formed.
- Rotate the baking sheets to make it easier to roll the entire dough into the desired size.
- Once the dough is about 32 cm x 25 in size, peel off the top baking sheet from the dough.
- Cut the cookies into desired size. For this recipe, I use a medium-sized cookie cutter (about 5 & 1/2 cm diameter).
- Place the cookies on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet.
- Place baking tray in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cookies started getting darker on top.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Serve. Sprinkle with more ground cardamom (if desired).
- This recipe yields about 20 cookies using a 5 & 1/2 cm diameter cookie cutter. You can cut the cookies into your desired size and adjust the baking time accordingly.
- Always better to use room temperature butter.
- If you can, use cardamom seeds instead of cardamom powder.It makes a big difference on the flavor and aroma of the cookies.
- Do not forget to use two baking sheets when rolling the dough.This trick makes the rolling of the dough it less messy and quicker.
Last Updated on