A healthy alternative to your usual burger! Swedish Salmon Burger with Lemon Yogurt Sauce can be prepared outside or on your stovetop. No excuse not to give this simple, but flavorful grilled salmon burger a try!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
It’s the season for grilling! But it does not mean that you can only prepare this sumptuous dish during summer.
I make salmon burger the whole year-round in Stockholm, mainly because salmon is so common here, AND I can do it easily on my stovetop – no messy or greasy clean up afterward.
WHAT YOU NEED TO PREPARE HEALTHY SALMON BURGERS
DOES IT MATTER WHICH PART OF SALMON I USE FOR THE PATTIES?
As long as there are no bones in there, you’re good to go!
HOW TO MAKE GRILLED SALMON BURGERS WITH LEMON YOGURT SAUCE
Start by preheating your grill.
Divide the salmon fillet into two parts. Chop one part into small cubes, while the other half goes into a food processor until it turns into a texture similar to paste.
Using a medium-sized bowl, combine and mix the salmon, three tablespoons dill, capers, salt, egg, pepper, and two tablespoons of breadcrumb (photo 1).
Form four equal-sized patties and place them all on the grill (photo 2).
Cook them for about three to four minutes on each side, then three more minutes on one side. Take them off the grill (photo 3).
To prepare the sauce, combine yogurt, lemon juice, zest, and remaining dill in a medium bowl. Mix and season with salt and pepper (photo 4).
Assemble the burger by using some buns, tomatoes, and any leafy vegetables that you prefer (like lettuce).
TOP TIPS ON MAKING THESE GRILLED SALMON PATTIES AND BURGER SAUCE
- Do not skip preparing the salmon in two ways. It helps in both keeping them together and keeping the moisture in.
- Plain yogurt is the best kind that you can use for the salmon burger sauce. If you want to try other types, make sure it does not overpower the lemon flavor in the sauce.
- If the burger mixture is too wet, add a tablespoon of breadcrumbs. Do this until you reach the right consistency.
- I suggest NOT replacing the dill with other herbs. Trust me, dill, lemon, and salmon go well together – very Nordic. 🙂
CAN’T GET ENOUGH OF SALMON? THEN YOU SHOULD TRY Finnish Salmon Soup (Lohikeitto)!
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MORE SUMMER RECIPES, THEN YOU MIGHT LIKE MY OTHER POSTS:
- Sicilian Almond Granita
- Roman-Style Chicken (Pollo Alla Romana)
- Finnish Summer Soup
- Yellow Pepper Soup
- Pistachio Semifreddo
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE SWEDISH RECIPES, CHECK OUT 15+ Swedish Food Recipes You Must Try
Swedish Salmon Burger with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 kg salmon fillet, skin removed
- 4 tbsp fresh dill, chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp capers, chopped roughly
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- salt and pepper, to season
- Prepare the grill by preheating.
- In a medium bowl, combine salmon, 3 tbsp dill, capers, egg, salt, ground black pepper and 2 tbsp breadcrumbs. Mix. If the mixture is too wet, add the remaining breadcrumbs, one tablespoon at a time.
- Start forming the patties, and once the grill is ready, place them on top.
- Turn them on the other side after around 3 to 4 minutes. Cook for 3 more minutes on the other side and take them out of the grill.
- Prepare the sauce by combining yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, and remaining dill in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon burger on a bun with some leafy vegetables (like romaine lettuce). Add a tablespoon of lemon yogurt sauce and a slice of tomato.
- It doesn't matter which part of salmon you use, as long as it's a fillet.
- Make sure you prepare the salmon in two different ways, for better texture and for keeping the moisture.
- You can substitute a different kind of yogurt, just make sure that it’s not too strong that it overpowers the lemon flavor.