A healthy alternative to your usual burger! Swedish Salmon Burger with Lemon Yogurt Sauce can be prepared outside or on your stove top. No excuse not to give this simple, but flavorful dish a try!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
It’s the season for grilling! But it does not mean that you can only prepare this sumptuous dish during summer.
I make salmon burger the whole year-round in Stockholm; mainly because salmon is so common here and because I can do it easily on my stove top – no messy or greasy cleanup afterwards.
I always buy salmon fillet for making this salmon burger recipe and I just remove the skin myself.
No special knife required for doing this, as long as it’s quite thin (i.e. not a cleaver) and sharp, you’re good to go.
HOW TO MAKE SALMON PATTIES
WHY DO I HAVE TO PREPARE THE SALMON IN TWO DIFFERENT WAYS FOR THIS SALMON BURGER RECIPE?
For two reasons, and they’re all for your benefit, I can assure you. 😉
- Turning half of them into an almost ‘paste’ consistency aids to keep the patties together. The egg, of course helps with this as well.
- Chopping them into small cubes GREATLY helps in keeping the moisture in the patties.
If you don’t believe me, you can try skipping the chopping of the other half into small cubes.
You can of course, still keep them moist, but the cooking time needs to be more precise. I gave up on that a long time ago. 🙂
HOW TO PREPARE SALMON BURGER SAUCE
You need (3) main ingredients for this salmon burger sauce:
- Plain yogurt
CAN I REPLACE THE DILL WITH OTHER HERBS FOR THIS SALMON BURGER RECIPE?
I do not recommend replacing dill with other herbs.
You can try adding some, but since dill is a ‘well-loved’ herb in the Nordic countries, that’s one bit that makes it so Swedish.
CAN I USE OTHER TYPES OF YOGURT?
You can try, but it needs to let the lemon flavor shine.
Also, the ‘sour kick’ needs to come from the lemon, not from something in the yogurt (or sour cream, perhaps?).
Plain yogurt is the cleanest and best base that you can use for this lemon yogurt sauce, trust me.
WHAT TO PUT ON A SALMON BURGER
You can serve it with the usual burger buns, with a slice of tomato and some lettuce.
Or you can serve it without the buns, just the salmon patties, with the lemon yogurt sauce on the side.
For both cases, a small serving of leafy salad is always good – at least, that’s how I’ve always done it.
WHAT DRINK GOES WELL WITH SWEDISH SALMON BURGER?
A glass of chilled dry white wine or a glass of prosecco! ENJOY. 🙂
Lastly, if you love salmon, you should try Finnish Salmon Soup (Lohikeitto). You would thank me for it!
WANT MORE ENTREE IDEAS? THEN CHECK OUT MY MAIN DISHES COLLECTION!
IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR MORE SWEDISH RECIPES, CHECK OUT 15+ Swedish Food Recipes You Must Try
OR IF YOU WANT MORE SUMMER RECIPES, TRY THESE POSTS –
Swedish Salmon Burger with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 kg salmon fillet, skin removed
- 4 tbsp fresh dill, chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp capers, chopped roughly
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 lemon, grated zest
- salt and pepper, for seasoning the sauce
- Prepare the grill by preheating.
- In a medium bowl, combine salmon, 3 tbsp dill, capers, egg, salt, ground black pepper and 2 tbsp breadcrumbs. Mix. If the mixture is too wet, add the remaining breadcrumbs, one tablespoon at a time.
- Form four patties out of the mixture.
- Once the grill is ready, place the patties on top and turn them on the other side after around 3 to 4 minutes. Cook for 3 more minutes on the other side and take them out of the grill.
- Prepare the sauce by combining yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest and remaining dill in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Place the salmon burger on a bun with some leafy vegetables (like romaine lettuce). Add a tablespoon of lemon yogurt sauce and a slice of tomato.
- Does not matter which part of salmon you use, as long as it's a fillet.
- Make sure you prepare the salmon in two different ways, for better texture and form of the patties.
- You can substitute a different kind of yogurt, just make sure that it’s not too strong to overpower the lemon flavor.