Not a cauliflower fan? This easy soup recipe might change your mind. French Cauliflower Soup is deliciously creamy; without sacrificing the taste of cauliflower – in every spoonful!
Yep, I am not part of the ‘cauliflower bandwagon’ – from bread, to rice, to pizza crust, almost everything has cauliflower nowadays. I still don’t understand why that’s happening, but our recent trip to Paris made me see cauliflower in a different light.
Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against its flavor, it’s just the smell that ruins it for me.
French cauliflower soup though, was a revelation. All the intense cauliflower flavor and creaminess, without the smell. Simply delicious.
HOW TO MAKE FRENCH CAULIFLOWER SOUP
CAN I USE DOUBLE CREAM FOR THIS CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER SOUP RECIPE?
Absolutely. I have tried some that used double cream as well.
Personally, I prefer using crème fraiche because I felt that double cream tones down the flavor of the cauliflower, all I end up tasting is cream. If that is what you want, then go for it.
It’s the same thing when I tried half & half, all I end up tasting was milk – I didn’t like it.
CAN I REPLACE VEGETABLE BROTH WITH CHICKEN BROTH FOR THIS EASY CAULIFLOWER RECIPE?
Chicken broth should work fine, but I prefer to use vegetable broth. I just feel it complements the flavor of the cauliflower more.
HELPFUL TIPS ON MAKING CREAM OF CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- If you want to add a hint of smokiness to this soup, roast the cauliflower instead of cooking it with onions and celery
- You want MORE creaminess (?!), then add some butter after taking the pot off the heat, prior to serving
- HATE chives? Then, you can garnish the soup with croutons instead. This even adds a different texture to the soup
WHAT TO SERVE WITH FRENCH CAULIFLOWER SOUP?
Bread. It doesn’t matter what kind — crusty country bread, a baguette or even a normal toast.
You can have them in between spoonful of this creamy soup, or just dunk it in the bowl. Whatever works for you! 🙂
FOR OTHER SOUP RECIPES, CHECK OUT MY OTHER POSTS –
- German Lentil soup with Frankfurters
- Finnish Summer Soup
- German Potato Soup (Kartoffelsuppe)
- Cream of Beans & Mushrooms Soup
- Roasted Chickpea Soup
VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE FRENCH CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Deliciously creamy – without sacrificing the taste of cauliflower. That’s what you get in every spoonful of French Cauliflower Soup! (VIDEO ABOVE)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 500 to 750 grams cauliflower, only florets
- 1 & 1/2 cups broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche, heaping
- salt and pepper, to season
- pinch of nutmeg
- chives, for garnish (optional)
Add butter on a medium to large pot, over medium heat.
- Once butter has melted, add onion and celery. Cook until the onion has slightly softened.
- Add cauliflower, broth and milk. Mix.
- Add thyme and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until cauliflower is tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- Take pot off the heat and set aside to cool a bit.
- Once soup has cooled down, use a food processor (or blender) to puree the soup.
- Once puree has reached a smooth texture, pour puree back to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil.
Add crème fraiche. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cover and simmer for a few minutes. Do not boil, just enough to heat up the soup again after adding crème fraiche.
Serve and garnish with chopped chives, if desired.
(*This post contains some affiliate links)