If you are still looking for an easy canned black beans recipe, then you should try Thai black beans in coconut milk! Every spoonful is a delicious combo of creaminess and nuttiness for this black beans recipe. Oh! Did I tell you it also uses canned coconut milk? Yep, no complicated preparation required!
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
There are tons of Thai desserts with coconut milk – actually, not just desserts.
Coconut milk is one of the staples of Thai cooking, and I completely understand why.
It’s a versatile ingredient that works so well for both sweet and savory dishes – it’s creamy, and rich, with a hint of nuttiness.
Traditionally, dried black beans are used for making this dish. However, if you are pressed for time, I see no harm in using canned black beans as an alternative.
HOW TO MAKE THAI BLACK BEANS IN COCONUT MILK
WHICH ONE SHOULD I USE, CANNED BLACK BEANS OR DRIED BLACK BEANS?
If you have the time to spare, I would say go ahead and use dried black beans.
I have used and compared both types, and I personally think dried beans give this black beans recipe dessert a more ‘earthy’ flavor.
Be mindful though, you would have to add at least three hours in the total time when you use dried beans.
Two hours for soaking, and at least an hour for cooking. But you know what? It is worth it. 🙂
CAN I USE COCONUT CREAM INSTEAD OF CANNED COCONUT MILK FOR THIS COCONUT MILK DESSERT RECIPE?
Yep, I do this sometimes when I only have coconut cream at home.
But you would have to add an extra 1/3 cup of water to thin it out a bit.
TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THIS CANNED BLACK BEANS RECIPE
- Don’t forget to add some salt once the sugar has completely dissolved. The salt balances the sweetness, but make sure you add a little bit at a time — in between tasting.
- You can simmer this dessert for more than 30 minutes, if you prefer. I have once left it simmering for almost an hour, and I personally think that it helps in the depth of the flavor, without making the beans mushy.
HOW DO I SERVE BLACK BEANS IN COCONUT MILK?
Warm, for sure.
It’s quite tempting to start eating it once it’s out of the heat. But trust me, wait for it to slightly cool down.
Whether you are looking for a black beans dessert, or a coconut milk dessert recipe, this dish would tick all the boxes for you.
It doesn’t even matter if it’s the height of summer, a bowl of Thai black beans in coconut milk is ALWAYS a good idea!
FOR MORE ASIAN RECIPES, CHECK OUT THESE OTHER POSTS –
OR IF YOU WANT MORE DESSERT IDEAS, CHECK OUT MY DESSERTS COLLECTION!
NOTE: This post was originally published on Nov, 2018. New images and a video was added, as well as substituted brown sugar for palm sugar.
Thai Black Beans in Coconut Milk
- 3 cups black beans, cooked and drained
- 2 & 1/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp salt
- In a medium-sized sauce pan, combine black beans and coconut milk. Mix.
- Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar. Add salt (if desired).
- Cover with a lid, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 mins.
- If you are adding salt, add it slowly and in between tasting. It’s supposed to balance the sweetness, not completely over power it.
- Simmering for slightly longer time is fine. It will give more depth to the overall flavor of the dessert.
Last Updated on