You only need three ingredients to make this treat. I kid you not. Just three! Cream, chocolates, an orange, and you’re all set!
I have never made truffles before because I always thought that it is a long process. Boy, was I wrong. The longest part of making truffles is the waiting time for the mixture to set in the refrigerator. But to be honest, if you cannot wait, you can already scoop it out by then! It will not be a truffle though. 😉
I saw some recipes that are using butter in the mixture. But, I am not sure how that would help. If at all, I think the butter would make the truffles melt quicker once they’re out of the refrigerator. So long as the ratio of the cream and the chocolate is correct, the mixture will set.
I also used fresh orange instead of orange extract in this recipe, and I used both the zest and the juice of the orange. The color might not be that intense, but the taste is there, and you see bits of the orange zest in each truffle.
Now that I have tried this, I am kicking myself for not doing it earlier. It would have been great to give these as gifts during the holidays. Nah, I will do it next year.
Oh! You can also try adding some orange liqueur, but keep it away from the kids. 🙂
IF YOU WANT MORE DESSERT IDEAS, THEN CHECK OUT MY DESSERTS COLLECTION!
- 1/3 cup cream
- 230 grams white chocolate
- 1 medium orange , grated zest
- 1 tsp orange juice
- icing sugar for serving (optional)
- Combine the orange zest with the cream in a pan and warm over low heat. Do NOT boil the cream, just warm enough to melt the chocolate.
- Pour the warm cream with orange zest into the chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the orange juice and mix.
- Cover with a plastic and place in the refrigerator for two hours to set.
- One the mixture has set, take it out of the refrigerator and use a teaspoon to scoop out a portion and form into a golf-sized ball.
- Put back in the refrigerator once finished and dust with icing sugar when serving, if desired.
- This recipe will make 10 golf-sized balls.
- If the warmth from the cream is not enough to melt the chocolate, you can add more heat to it either by using the microwave or by using a double boiler.