A delicious and flavorful vegetable side dish that’s ready in 30 minutes! Carrots with Marsala (or Carote Al Marsala) will surely become one of your favorites!
Side dish. We never seem to be able to pick a favorite. But if it’s a vegetable side dish, it always seems like we could eat as much as we want. This dish is one of those – it’s addictive.
The trick is to make sure it’s not TOO sweet and that the carrots are crunchy – NOT overcooked. When prepared like this, I guarantee, the plate would be empty in a jiffy! 🙂
HOW TO MAKE CARROTS WITH MARSALA
DOES IT MATTER WHAT TYPE OF CARROTS I USE?
From my experience, you can use whatever type (or size) of carrot. You just have to remember a couple of things:
- Cut the carrots in the same size so they cook at the same time.
- The smaller the carrots, the sweeter they tend to be. So, you might need to adjust the amount of sugar to use.
CAN I REPLACE THE SUGAR WITH OTHER TYPES OF SWEETENERS?
Like golden syrup? I honestly have not tried it, so I don’t know about that.
But if you have demerara sugar available, use that instead of white sugar! I use those two interchangeably for this recipe, result is always good. 🙂
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT LIQUOR?
Hmmm, that would mean a change in the name of the dish, right? 😉
Tell you what though, there was a time that I ran out of Marsala on a Sunday – and liquor stores are not open in Stockholm on Sundays (!).
I did however, have bottle of sweet sherry (Pedro Ximenez, to be precise). I reckon it could work, they both are sweet anyway.
The result was alright, but I skipped the sugar because I find that type of sherry way sweeter than Marsala.
I also added a bit of ground white pepper, to balance the flavor (as I like it). So, feel free to experiment with a different ‘sweet’ liquor if you have them on hand.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CARROTS WITH MARSALA
Generally, they’re great with roasted meat, but I have a couple of favorites.
Lamb and Rabbit – just heavenly.
As you can guess, lamb is what I prepare in Stockholm, while rabbit is what my mother-in-law prepares for us when we visit them in Italy – and then we just quickly whip up this delicious vegetable side dish. YUM!
FOR MORE SIDE DISH IDEAS, CHECK OUT MY SIDE DISHES COLLECTION!
OR IF YOU WANT MORE VEGETABLE RECIPES, YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE POSTS –
VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE CARROTS WITH MARSALA
(*This post contains some affiliate links)
MY AMAZON PICKS:
[easyazon_image align=”none” height=”75″ identifier=”B072BNFRFK” locale=”US” src=”https://foodandjourneys.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/41PnKAQ247L.SL75.jpg” tag=”erizailli-20″ width=”75″][easyazon_cta align=”none” identifier=”B072BNFRFK” key=”small-light” locale=”US” tag=”erizailli-20″]
Carrots with Marsala (Carote al Marsala)
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 350 grams carrots, cut into thin, long strips
- 1/2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup marsala
- salt, to season
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat. Add and melt butter on pan.
- Once butter had completely melted and small bubbles are forming, add carrots. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add salt and sugar. Mix for around 2 more minutes, making sure that each slice of carrot has been coated.
- Pour marsala on the carrots. Let it evaporate.
- Mix the carrots and cover the pan for 7 to 8 minutes or until the carrots are slightly cooked.
- Remove the cover of the pan and let the juice dry up a bit.
- Transfer carrots to a serving plate. Pour the remaining juice on the carrots. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Leave a Reply